Runway excursion Accident Gulfstream G-IV N823GA,
ASN logo

Date:Friday 13 July 2012
Type:Silhouette image of generic GLF4 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Gulfstream G-IV
Owner/operator:Universal Jet Aviation
Registration: N823GA
MSN: 1005
Year of manufacture:1987
Total airframe hrs:12210 hours
Cycles:5393 flights
Engine model:Rolls-Royce Tay 611-8
Fatalities:Fatalities: 3 / Occupants: 3
Aircraft damage: Destroyed, written off
Location:Le Castellet Airport (CTT) -   France
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:Nice-Côte d'Azur Airport (NCE/LFMN)
Destination airport:Le Castellet Airport (CTT/LFMQ)
Investigating agency: BEA
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
A Gulfstream G-IV corporate jet, N823GA, was destroyed when it crashed at Le Castellet Airport (CTT), France. All three occupants were killed.
The aircraft initially arrived at Nice-Côte d'Azur Airport (NCE) following a flight from Istanbul-Sabiha Gökçen International Airport, Turkey. Three passengers deplaned at Nice. Since the parking area at Nice was full, the airplane was to be ferried to Le Castellet.
Takeoff was accomplished at 14:56 hours local time and the aircraft climbed to FL160 for a short flight to Le Castellet.
At the destination, the crew was cleared to perform a visual approach to runway 13. The autopilot and the auto-throttle were disengaged, the gear was down and the flaps in the landing position. The GND SPOILER UNARM message, indicating nonarming of the ground spoilers, was displayed on the EICAS and the associated single chime aural warning was triggered. This message remained displayed on the EICAS until the end of the flight since the crew forgot to arm the ground spoilers during the approach.
At a height of 25 ft, while the aircraft was flying over the runway threshold slightly below the theoretical descent path, a SINK RATE warning was triggered. The pilot flying corrected the flight path and the touchdown of the main landing gear took place 15 metres after the touchdown zone, which is 365 metres from the threshold, and slightly left of the centre line of runway 13. The ground spoilers, not armed, did not automatically deploy. The crew braked and actuated the deployment of the thrust reversers, which did not deploy completely. The hydraulic pressure available at brake level slightly increased. The deceleration of the airplane was slow.
Four seconds after touchdown, a MASTER WARNING was triggered. A second MASTER WARNING was generated five seconds later.
The nose landing gear touched down for the first time 785 metres beyond the threshold before the aeroplane's pitch attitude increased again, causing a loss of contact of the nose gear with the ground. The aircraft crossed the runway centre line to the right, the crew correcting this by a slight input on the rudder pedals to the left. They applied a strong nose-down input and the nose gear touched down on the runway a second time, 1050 metres beyond the threshold.
The speedbrakes were then manually actuated by the crew with an input on the speed brake control, which then deployed the panels. Maximum thrust from the thrust reversers was reached one second later. The aircraft at this time was 655 metres from the runway end and its path began to curve to the left. In response to this deviation, the crew made a sharp input on the right rudder pedal, to the stop, and an input on the right brake, but failed to correct the trajectory. The aeroplane, skidding to the right, ran off the runway to the left 385 metres from the runway end at a ground speed of approximately 95 knots.
It struck a runway edge light, the PAPI of runway 31, a metal fence then trees and caught fire instantly.
An aerodrome firefighter responded quickly onsite but did not succeed in bringing the fire under control.

Causes of the accident:
Forgetting to arm the ground spoilers delayed the deployment of the thrust reversers despite their selection. Several MASTER WARNING alarms were triggered and the deceleration was low. The crew then responded by applying a strong nose-down input in order to make sure that the aeroplane stayed in contact with the ground, resulting in unusually high load for a brief moment on the nose gear. After that, the nose gear wheels deviated to the left as a result of a left input on the tiller or a failure in the steering system. It was not possible to establish a formal link between the high load on the nose gear and this possible failure. The crew was then unable to avoid the runway excursion at high speed and the collision with trees.
The aerodrome fire-fighter, alone at the time of the intervention, was unable to bring the fire under control after the impact. Although located outside of the runway safety area on either side of the runway centre line, as provided for by the regulations, the presence of rocks and trees near the runway contributed to the consequences of the accident.
The accident was caused by the combination of the following factors:
- the ground spoilers were not armed during the approach;
- a lack of a complete check of the items with the "before landing" checklist, and more generally the UJT crews' failure to systematically perform the checklists as a challenge and response to ensure the safety of the flight;
- procedures and ergonomics of the aeroplane that were not conducive to monitoring the extension of the ground spoilers during the landing;
- a possible left input on the tiller or a failure of the nose gear steering system having caused its orientation to the left to values greater than those that can be commanded using the rudder pedals, without generating any warning;
- a lack of crew training in the "Uncommanded Nose Wheel Steering" procedure, provided to face uncommanded orientations of the nose gear;
- an introduction of this new procedure that was not subject to a clear assessment by Gulfstream or the FAA;
- failures in updating the documentation of the manufacturer and the operator;
- monitoring by the FAA that failed to detect both the absence of any updates of this documentation and the operating procedure for carrying out checklists by the operator.

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: BEA
Report number: n-ga120713
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 3 years and 3 months
Download report: Final report





photo (c) Janis Liles; unknown; 03 September 2007

Revision history:


The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314