Accident Fuji FA-200-160 G-BEUK,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 174317
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Friday 8 January 1999
Type:Silhouette image of generic SUBA model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Fuji FA-200-160
Owner/operator:BM Aviation
Registration: G-BEUK
MSN: FA200-284
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:Glebe Farm Airstrip, Stockton, Warminster, Wiltshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Take off
Departure airport:Glebe Farm Airstrip, Warminster, Wiltshire
Destination airport:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Confidence Rating: Accident investigation report completed and information captured
Written off (Damaged beyond repair) 8-1-1999 when crashed at Glebe Farm Airstrip, Stockton, Warminster, Wiltshire. According to the following extract from the AAIB report into the accident:

"The pilot had flown his aircraft into a grass strip where it was due to undergo routine maintenance. The strip was 1,830 feet long with a marked downslope in the 04 direction. Because of this slope, all landings were performed in the 22 direction and all take offs in the 04 direction. During the time that the aircraft was undergoing its maintenance, the airfield was affected by rain showers and the runway surface became wet and soft.

The pilot was familiar with the strip and had previously operated the aircraft there in similar conditions of weather and aircraft loading without incident. On completion of the routine maintenance, the aircraft was fully serviceable and the pilot lined up on Runway 04 with an estimated surface wind of 250 degrees/05 to 06 knots.

The aircraft was configured normally for a grass strip take off and engine power was confirmed to be satisfactory. Initially, the aircraft accelerated as expected, but on reaching 40 to 45 knots, the speed stabilised for a period before increasing to 50 knots.

As the pilot had by now passed his pre-planned stop point, he gently raised the nose of the aircraft and lifted-off at 55 knots, some 5 knots below the normal rotation speed. Shortly after lift-off, the landing gear struck a wire fence on the airfield boundary and the aircraft landed in the adjacent field where the nose wheel dug into the soft ground causing the aircraft to tip onto its back.

Both occupants were wearing a full harness and although neither occupant was seriously injured, they were unable to evacuate the aircraft because the canopy was partially crushed. They had to await the arrival of the person who had carried out the maintenance on the aircraft who had observed the crash.

The pilot considered that the cause of the accident was an undetected increase in the tailwind component during take off due to a squall that had affected the airfield during his take-off roll".

Although the AAIB report confirmed that G-BEUK had sustained "substantial" damage, the registration was not cancelled until 25-6-2002 some two and a ha;f years later.

Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Report number: 
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report


1. AAIB:
2. CAA:

Revision history:

07-Mar-2015 01:30 Dr. John Smith Added
07-Mar-2015 01:38 Dr. John Smith Updated [Location]
30-Jun-2016 15:04 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Operator, Source, Damage, Narrative]
30-Jun-2016 15:08 Dr.John Smith Updated [Damage, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314