ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 190585
Last updated: 14 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic A319 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Airbus A319-112
Registration: D-AIBC
MSN: 4332
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 109
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: None
Category:Serious incident
Location:Dublin Airport (DUB/EIDW) -   Ireland
Phase: Standing
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Dublin Airport (DUB/EIDW)
Destination airport:München-Franz Josef Strauss Airport (MUC/EDDM)
Investigating agency: AAIU
The Airbus A319, D-AIBC, departed Munich-Franz Josef Strauss Airport, Germany at 14:35 UTC. It landed at Dublin Airport, Ireland, at 16:50 hrs and parked on stand 306L. The passengers disembarked and the crew completed the necessary checklist items to prepare the aircraft for the next sector from Dublin back to Munich as flight LH2515.
Once the passengers had boarded, the aircraft commenced pushback from its parking stand at 17:40 hrs. The flight crew began the engine start procedure as the pushback was in progress. During the engine start procedure the No. 2 engine failed to start. The commander reported that this was due to a lack of sufficient bleed air pressure being delivered to the engine from the APU. At 17:45 hrs the flight crew called ATC to request permission to return to stand 306L. The aircraft was towed back onto the parking stand, the parking brake was applied and the cabin crew were informed of events.
At 17:52 hrs, after the aircraft had stopped on stand, the purser called the cockpit to report that there was some smoke visible in the cabin. The commander opened the cabin door, observed the smoke and considered the use of the ‘Emergency Evacuation’ checklist. The cabin crew notified the commander that the cabin door emergency slides had already been placed from the ‘armed’ to the ‘manual’ position. The commander instructed the purser to return the doors to the ‘armed’ position and declared a ‘Mayday’ by radio to ATC. He shut down the APU and discharged a fire extinguisher bottle into the APU compartment as a precaution. There was no cockpit indication of a fire in the APU.
The Airport Fire Service (AFS) arrived three minutes after the call to ATC. The AFS chief advised the commander by radio that there was no sign of smoke or fire outside the aircraft.
The cabin crew reported to the commander that the smoke in the cabin was dissipating.
At this point the flight crew and cabin crew agreed that a full emergency evacuation was not necessary and elected to disarm the emergency slides and disembark the passengers by use of the airbridge. Once the passengers had disembarked, the AFS boarded the aircraft and evaluated the situation. The AFS stood down at 18:41 hrs.

The aircraft was ferried to Munich the next day, where the APU was removed from the aircraft. Following a test run of the APU, it was noted that there was oil leaking in the area of the oil cooler. A gearbox lip seal was replaced and the APU was successfully run without further leakage.
The aircraft was released back into service following a test flight on December 4, 2015.

It is probable that the leaking oil from the area of the oil cooler was sucked into the airflow by the load compressor and entered the air conditioning system.


Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIU
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report


Photo of D-AIBC courtesy

Munich (EDDM / MUC)
23 September 2021; (c) Felix Goetting

Revision history:

10-Oct-2016 14:33 harro Added

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description