Incident Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c 1145,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 199421
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Tuesday 2 May 1916
Type:Silhouette image of generic be2 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c
Owner/operator:(HD) Flt RNAS Redcar
Registration: 1145
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Aircraft damage: Substantial
Location:RNAS Redcar, Redcar, North Riding of Yorkshire, England -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:RNAS Redcar, North Riding of Yorkshire
Destination airport:RNAS Redcar, North Riding of Yorkshire
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
This aircraft was built by Blackburns of Leeds and was delivered new to Redcar on 19th December 1915. On 2nd May 1916 this aircraft took off at 23.00 hrs from Redcar to patrol an area between Hartlepool and Whitby, it reportedly narrowly missed Navy Zepellins L16 and L17.

On it's return to Redcar at 00.01 hrs on 3rd May it struck a small aerodrome searchlight which removed the aircraft's undercarriage. The resulting crash caused severe damage to the aircraft's engine and undersurfaces and also smashed the propeller.

The damage in May 1916 was repaired and it was returned to service, it was transferred to RNAS Cranwell on 24th May 1916 before suffering another repairable accident on 18th July 1917. It was deleted from stock some time later, probably after another mishap on the 2nd November 1917.

Pilot at the time of accident was F/Lt Bruno Philip Henry de Roeper RNAS. Bruno Philip Henry de Roeper was born on 22nd March 1892 in Forest Gate, London. He had a remarkable long period of service. Basic details have been added to Wikipedia but at the time of writing this biography there was no other on the internet attempting to detail his post-WW1 life. He was taugh to fly at the Grahame White School of Flying at the London Aerodrome, Hendon in 1915 and was awarded his Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate on 1st July 1915 ( 1379). A number of dates for his promotions are not yet know but he rose to Flight Sub-Lieutenant on 16th April 1915, temporary F/Lt on 1st April 1916, Acting Flight Commander on 3rd December 1916.

In 1916 flew anti-Zeppelin patrols of the East Coast of England in BE2c's. He was later posted to 6 Squadron and was credited with the destruction of an enemy Albatross on 20th May 1917 but five days later was injured in action while attacking an enemy aircraft. After recovering from his injuries he returned to flying and between 22nd July 1917 and 20th August 1917 was credited with a further four enemy aircraft as destroyed. Having risen in rank to Squadron Commander on 3rd January 1918 he begun his command of 6 Squadron. Having risen to the rank of Major and for his service in Egypt he was later awarded the AFC, Gazetted on 3rd June 1919. He was granted a permanent commission of the rank of Major in the RAF on 1st August 1919. His rank was later converted to Squadron Leader.

In 1921 he served with the Central Flying School (Inland Area) and was posted to the School of Photography (Inland Area) on 15th August 1921. He was later posted to No.1 Flying Training School (Inland Area) on 22nd March 1922. On 16th December 1924 he took a role at the Aeronautical Committee of Guarantee in Germany. On 11th March 1925 he was posted to the RAF Depot and as Squadron Leader he retired from the RAF on 16th April 1925.

He married Jean Julia Key on 2nd August 1919 and at that time his parents were living at Bella Vista, Upminster. He re-gained his Aviator's Certificate ( at the Brooklands Flying School in 1931. It is very likely that he was appointed business manager of Rootes Securities Ltd by 1939 as an account has been found detailing Sir Kingsley Wood's visit to the Speke Factory which refers to him.

When the Second World War begun he appears to have offered his services again and as Sqn/Ldr (retd)(01145) he transferred from the General Duties Branch to the Technical Branch on 24th April 1940. He was promoted from S/Ldr to W/Co (temp) on 1st January 1944 and then to W/Co (war subs) on 24th March 1945. As W/Co he reverted to the retired list at his own request on 3rd March 1946 but retaining the rank of G/C.



Revision history:

05-Sep-2017 20:53 Dr. John Smith Added
15-Apr-2020 10:37 Xindel XL Updated [Operator, Operator]
10-Jul-2021 03:36 Dr. John Smith Updated [Location, Source, Narrative, Category]
18-May-2024 19:05 Nepa Updated [Time, Location, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314