Accident Blackburn L.1C Bluebird IV G-AAOI,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 200777
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Sunday 21 January 1934
Type:Blackburn L.1C Bluebird IV
Owner/operator:York County Aviation Club
Registration: G-AAOI
MSN: SB221
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:Sherburn-in-Elmet, North Yorkshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:Sherburn-in-Elmet, North Yorkshire (EGCJ)
Destination airport:Sherburn-in-Elmet, North Yorkshire (EGCJ)
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
First registered 4.2.30 as G-AAOI to National Flying Service, Hanworth. Sold on (and re-registered) to North Sea Aerial & General Transport Ltd., Brough, East Yorskhire, thence to Hebert Roy Fields, Hedon, Hull, East Yorkshire. Finally sold on to York County Aviation Club, Sherburn-in-Elmet, North Yorkshire on 13.5.32.

On 21.1.34 two men, James Quarmby of Horbury and Clifford Shaw of Dewsbury, were killed when Blackburn Bluebird G-AAOI crashed and burst into flames when attempting to land at the airfield. The Leeds Mercury of 22.1.34 reported as follows:

“Returning after two hours’ absence, the Blackburn Bluebird in which Mr Quarmby and Mr Shaw were flying flew over Sherburn village yesterday afternoon.

At the club headquarters it was a quiet afternoon, with no other machines overhead, but a few people about the aerodrome noticed it. As it came closer in, one or two wondered whether anything was amiss; a few seconds later they stood, horrified by the knowledge that a disaster was inevitable.

Mr F Worsdale, the ground engineer, rushed off to telephone as he saw the machine diving down. He was speaking to the surgery of Dr W Murphy, two miles away, within a moment of the crash. “Send the doctor at once,” he asked. As he spoke the flames roared up round the wrecked machine, the nose of which was driven into the grass by its dive.

The doctor was at the gates of his house when the message came. He jumped into his car and drove quickly to the scene of the disaster, where a desperate fight against the flames had begun.

When the doctor’s car reached the club premises it never stopped, but Mr Worsdale, who had rushed back to the hangar for more fire extinguishers, jumped on the running board.

The car raced to the burning plane and Mr Worsdale, Mr G A Holdworth (a young Sherburn man), Captain Heath and Mr Sidney Smith, a Sherburn workman, worked feverishly to extricate Mr Shaw and Mr Quarmby from the cockpit.

Dr Murphy told me this afternoon that he was satisfied that both young men were dead before the flames burst out. “As soon as I got up to the plane I could see them, but I’m sure that they were not alive” he said.

Both men had severe injuries. The front of the Bluebird was smashed up, and the engine block had been hurled into the ground. Presumably the bursting of the petrol tank set up the fire”.

Registration G-AAOI cancelled by the Air Ministry by/on 31.1.34 due to "destruction or permanent withdrawl from use of aircraft"



Revision history:

01-Nov-2017 22:32 Dr. John Smith Added
02-Nov-2017 21:13 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Registration, Cn, Operator, Source, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314