ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 215962
Last updated: 28 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic ANSN model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Avro Anson Mk I
Owner/operator:220 Squadron Royal Air Force (220 Sqn RAF)
Registration: K6152
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:RAF Catterick, North Yorkshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:RAF Thornaby, North Yorkshire
Destination airport:RAF Catterick, North Yorkshire
Anson K6152 was the first production Anson aircraft, it was built to contract 421119/35 by A.V.Roe Ltd at Woodford and was delivered to A&AEE at Martlesham Heath for the first time on 13th April 1935 for performance tests. It was issued to a unit named Coastal Area, at Gosport, for Service trials on 13th May 1935 and then returned to A.V.Roe Ltd at Woodford for modifications on 20th June 1935. It was then returned to A&AEE at Martlesham Heath on 26th June where it carried out stability and control trials. It again returned to A.V.Roe Ltd at Woodford for further modifications on 9th July 1935 then returned to A&AEE at Martlesham Heath on 29th July for handling trials. It again went back to A.V.Roe Ltd at Woodford on 8th August 1935 for further modifications and then returned to A&AEE at Martlesham Heath on 8th October 1935. It was then transferred to RAE Farnborough on 10th May 1936 for oscillation tests and returned to A.V.Roe Ltd at Woodford for modifications on 16th May 1936, it then went back to A&AEE at Martlesham Heath on 22nd May 1936 for fuel consumption trials.

On an unknown date in January 1938 it was transferred to RAE Farnborough for Cheetah engine trials and radio tests. It again returned to A.V. Roe Ltd at Woodford on 30th March 1938 for further modifications. It returned to A&AEE at Martlesham Heath on 12th December 1938 for Browning machine gun trials and then back to RAE Farnborough on 3rd January 1939 for further engine tests and camouflage trials.

On 26th May 1939 it entered operational service with 220 Squadron and then moved with the unit to Thornaby on 21st August 1939. However, its operational service career was quite short.

On 13th October 1939 the pilot of this 220 Squadron aircraft misjudged the landing on this rather small grass fighter airfield. Following a wrong approach configuration, the twin engine aircraft landed long and was unable to stop within the remaining runway. It overrun and collided with a hedge before coming to rest, and was damaged aircraft beyond economical repair. K6152 suffered Cat.W/FA damage, was deemed beyond repair and written off. Both pilots were unhurt.


1. Royal Air Force Aircraft K1000-K9999 (James J. Halley, Air Britain, 1976)
2. The Anson File (Ray Sturtivant, Air Britain, 1988)

Revision history:

02-Oct-2018 19:16 Dr.John Smith Added
10-Nov-2018 22:15 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description