ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 218791
Last updated: 29 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic LA4 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Lake LA-4-200 Buccaneer
Registration: VH-FOB
MSN: 970
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Cockburn Sound, WA -   Australia
Phase: Take off
Departure airport:Cockburn Sound, WA
Destination airport:YPJT
Investigating agency: BASI
The pilot had flown the aircraft to Cockburn Sound to practice circuits. However, after the first landing he found the water conditions too rough to complete a takeoff. The pilot waited for a period in the hope that conditions would improve. Three quarters of an hour later he taxied along Cockburn Sound looking for an area that was suitable for takeoff, but this search was unsuccessful. After beaching the aircraft a second time the pilot observed that the aircraft was taking water. When the pilot attempted to drain the excess water from the bilges he found that the rear bilge pump was unserviceable, and the water had to be drained manually by removing two bungs. The bungs were replaced when the water flow reduced to a trickle after five to ten minutes. The sea state abated after four hours and the pilot decided to carry out a high-speed taxi run during which, if he assessed the conditions were suitable, he could convert the run to a takeoff. The pilot was able to get the aircraft up on to the hull step, however, before he could continue with the takeoff the aircraft suddenly pitched nose-up and then down before nosing over inverted approximately 50 metres from the shore line. Neither occupant was wearing a life jacket although they were carried in the aircraft. Both occupants received injuries which may have required the jackets for survival had assistance not been given from the shore. A screw was found to be missing from a normally watertight panel on the rear fuselage. The screw had been missing since the aircraft was last painted. Tests indicated that water was able to leak into the aircraft via the missing screw hole. Water in the rear fuselage would normally be pumped out by the rear bilge pump, however, it was unserviceable. The pump's impeller had become detached from the drive shaft sometime prior to the accident flight. Tests on the manual draining system used by the pilot indicated that a minimum of 31 litres of water remained in the aft fuselage after draining was apparently complete, when the flow of water had slowed to a trickle. Although the sea state appeared to improve there was still a significant swell running at the time of the accident. The pilot attempted his high-speed run in the direction of the swell instead of parallel to it. It is probable that the combination of an aft centre of gravity, movement of weight associated with the water in the fuselage and the uplift provided by the swell caused the loss of control.


Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: BASI
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report


Photo of VH-FOB courtesy

Sydney - Bankstown (YSBK / BWU)
January 1983; (c) David Carter

Revision history:

30-Nov-2018 08:15 Pineapple Added

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description