Accident Vickers F.B.5 Gunbus 5623,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 218867
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Monday 13 March 1916
Type:Vickers F.B.5 Gunbus
Owner/operator:32 Sqn RFC
Registration: 5623
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
Destination airport:RFC Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
13.3.16: Vickers FB.5 5623, 32 Squadron, RFC, Netheravon. Written off (destroyed) when engine misfiring badly; nose dived to ground, Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire. Pilot - Lt Cyril Wynyard Battye (on attachment from Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire Regiment) aged 21) - was killed. According to a contemporary re[prt in "Flight" magazine (March 30 1916 page 270 - see link #4)

"Lieutenant CYRIL WYNYARD BATTYE, Royal Berkshire Regiment and R.F.C., the only son of Lieutenant-Colonel Battye, Military Knight of Windsor, and Mrs. Battye, who, it was announced last week, was killed while flying on March 13th, was educated at Repton and Sandhurst. He gained his commission in the 2nd Royal Berkshire Regiment in August, 1914, and saw service in Flanders.

He was severely wounded at Ypres in October, 1914, and again—in the trenches—in August, 1915. In 1914 he was a member of the R.M.C., Sandhurst, Cricket XL, and also played for Berkshire and the M.C.C."

According to the Coroners Report from inquest into the death of Lt Cyril Battye (see link #3):

"Battye, Cyril
March 17th 1916

Airman’s Fatal Accident

A young officer in the Royal Flying Corps, Lieutenant C W Battye, was killed at Netheravon on Monday, apparently as the result of trouble with the engine of the aeroplane in which he was flying.

An inquest was held on Tuesday at the Military Hospital, Fargo Camp, on Tuesday, by the Coroner for South Wilts, Mr F H Trethowan.

Lieut John Wesley Honey, of the RAMC, stationed at Fargo Military Hospital, said he had superficially examined the body of the officer, and he detailed the principal injuries, which consisted of a number of broken bones. He said it was impossible to say what was the extent of the internal injuries, but those he had described were sufficient to cause death from shock, with the corresponding internal injuries which there must be.

Captain Hellyer, of the Royal Flying Corps, stationed at Netheravon Flying School, said that Lieut Cyril Wynyard Battye was 21 years of age, and his home address was 19, Castle Yard, Windsor. On Monday he was flying by himself at the School a Vickers fighter biplane. He was an experienced flyer and had done nearly 60 hours flying. Witness saw him go up. He had flown the same machine before and was taking it up at his own request. He was in good health. Before going up he ran the engine, and when he switched off witness did not think he turned the petrol off, because when he eventually rose the engine mis-fired, and witness formed the opinion that it was choked. He rose about 60 feet and then turned downward. The engine went worse and Mr Battye turned sharp into the wind, intending to land. He did not have sufficient height, and the machine side-slipped, nose dived, and hit the ground, the nose falling vertically. Witness was about 400 yards away from the place, and he asked Lieut Seagrave to go for an ambulance, while he went to the machine. He found it smashed and Mr Battye in a dying condition. His examination of the machine showed no further cause for the accident, and witness was satisfied that it was in proper order when it went up.

Lieut Seagrave, of the Royal Flying Corps, corroborated Captain Hellyer’s evidence and said he was with Mr Battye when he died at 3.30pm, about seven minutes after the accident.

The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.

The Coroner requested the military authorities, in the event of any death occurring which necessitated an inquest, to let the police officer have all the information they can respecting the death, in order that it may be reported to him at once."


4. Flight magazine (March 30 1916 page 270):

Revision history:

01-Dec-2018 22:17 Dr.John Smith Added
02-Dec-2018 18:01 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314