Accident Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 A3407,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 220793
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Wednesday 17 January 1917
Type:Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8
Owner/operator:42 (Reserve) Sqn RFC
Registration: A3407
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:RFC Hounslow Heath, Hounslow, Middlesex -   United Kingdom
Phase: Initial climb
Departure airport:RFC Hounslow Heath, Hounslow, Middlesex
Destination airport:
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
17.1.17: Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 A3407, 42 (Reserve) Squadron, RFC Hounslow Heath. Written off (destroyed) when Spun into the ground off turn, shortly after take-off, RFC Hounslow Heath, Hounslow, Middlesex. Pilot - Air Mechanic 2nd Class Raymond Wilfred Stanley (Service Number 43126, aged 26) - was killed. According to the aircraft accident record card for R.E.8 A3407 (see link #3):

"Court of Inquiry 87/9289
Flying accident, Error of judgement, Machine nose dived. The Court of Inquiry was of the opinion that the accident was due to an error of judgement on the part of the deceased"

According to a contemporary report in "Flight" magazine (January 25 1917 page 85):

"Fatal Accidents
A verdict of " Accidental Death " was also returned at an inquest on January 20th on Air-Mechanic R. Stanley, who was killed while flying. Evidence was given that Stanley, who was an experienced pilot, rose well, but in turning at a low altitude failed to bank, with the result that the aeroplane nose-dived to earth."

Raymond was so seriously injured in the crash that he died on his way to hospital. His Commander, Captain Sanday, wrote to the family:

"We understand he had already passed and even exceeded the stipulated hours, and some few days previous to this fatal flight had finished his flying, and had early in January actually written home to say that he was on his last machine before coming home on leave before proceeding overseas. However, on the 17th he again flew a new and powerful machine, and for some unexplainable reason this machine crashed to the ground at a height of only about 100 feet, as already stated. He should have been home that night, as this was his last flight."


4. Flight magazine (January 25 1917 page 85):

Revision history:

14-Jan-2019 00:32 Dr. John Smith Added
14-Jan-2019 08:17 stehlik49 Updated [Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314