Accident Airco DH.2 A2602,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 221465
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Tuesday 1 May 1917
Type:Silhouette image of generic dh4 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different    
Airco DH.2
Owner/operator:10 (Reserve) Sqn RFC
Registration: A2602
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:RFC Joyce Green, Dartford, Kent -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:RFC Joyce Green, Dartford, Kent
Destination airport:RFC Joyce Green, Dartford, Kent
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
1.5.17: Airco (DeHavilland) D.H.2 A2602, 10 (Reserve) Squadron, RFC Joyce Green, Kent. Written off (damaged beyond repair) when collided with a hut on landing, RFC Joyce Green, Dartford, Kent. Pilot - Captain Harry Wadlow (aged 22) - was killed

Harry Wadlow served in Gallipoli as 2nd Lieut ASC, and was invalided home from the Dardanelles in 1915. He joined the RFC in the following year and by 26th July was listed as Captain. He trained as an Observer with the Air Observer School in Kent.

Beginning a flying instruction course at Joyce Green Airfield on the Dartford Salt Marshes, Harry was with No. 10 Squadron who had been the first Squadron to arrive at Joyce Green. The airfield had been established by Vickers in 1911 and taken over as an air defence airfield in 1914.

[Low-lying Joyce Green, near Dartford, was subject to frequent flooding and had a reputation for being unsuitable and too dangerous for training. It was eventually replaced by a more suitable site: RAF Biggin Hill.]

It was while Harry was training to fly, and flying solo, on 1 May 1917 that his aircraft, a DH2, serial number A2602, struck a hut on his landing approach and he was killed instantly. His father, the Headmaster of Frenchay School, received the news during the morning school that same day and was most distraught. Hilda Adams, who was then a pupil at the school, later recorded that Mr. Wadlow fell to the ground with the shock. The school was closed for the next two days and Mr. Wadlow took leave of absence until 8th May. (His father died at Bournemouth in 1950.)



Revision history:

02-Feb-2019 20:12 Dr. John Smith Added
03-Feb-2019 10:03 stehlik49 Updated [Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314