ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 22400
Last updated: 2 December 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic ju88 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Junkers Ju 88A-1
Owner/operator:8./KG 30 Luftwaffe
Registration: 4D+1S
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Otteringham railway crossing, near Partrington, East Yorkshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Combat
Departure airport:Aalborg West, Aalborg, Denmark
Destination airport:
On 20th August 1940 aircraft from 8/KG30 had flown to Northern England from Aalborg, Denmark, with the intention of attacking Thornaby airfield and the Teesside area. It was one of three aircraft flying together but as they got nearer to the East Coast this aircraft became separated from the other two and ended up too far south from its intended target area. It was picked up on the early warning system in operation at the time and Hurricanes from 302 Squadron based at Leconfield were sent to intercept it at around 19.00 hours. Squadron Leader Bill Satchell RAF was credited with damaged the Ju.88 which left it's pilot with little option but to crash landed the burning aircraft roughly a mile south-east of Ottringham at 19.04 hours. The location given in a defence report quotes it being alongside Westlands Plantation and near Salthaugh Grange Farm.

Of the Luftwaffe crew; one was injured in the attack and he along with two others were soon captured close to their burning aircraft by members of the Cameron Highlanders who took the injured man to Patrington Military Hospital. Some time later the fourth German airman was found badly injured at the opposite end of the field to where the aircraft had crashed, it was thought that he had been thrown out of the aircraft as it crashed. He was also taken to Patrington and both seriously injured men were later transferred to Hull Hospital where both had died by 22nd August 1940. The remaining two Luftwaffe airmen were treated for their minor injuries and became PoW's.

Uffz Willhelm Rautenberg gunner (Died of Injuries sustained 21.08.40),
Ofw Werner Hans Kruczinski wireless operator (Died of Injuries sustained 22.08.40),
Uffz Franz Georg Wolff pilot (POW),
Fw Hugo Keller observer (POW)



Revision history:

07-Aug-2008 23:11 Anon. Added
10-Jan-2012 07:50 Uli Elch Updated [Registration, Operator, Phase, Narrative]
30-Sep-2015 16:52 sandman56 Updated [Registration, Narrative]
22-May-2019 19:13 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Location, Departure airport, Source, Narrative]
09-Dec-2019 10:21 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description