ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 22409
Last updated: 16 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:19:08 BS
Type:Silhouette image of generic ju88 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Junkers Ju 88A-1
Owner/operator:1.(F)/Aufkl.Gr.121 Luftwaffe
Registration: 7A+KH
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:near Calais House Farm, Newton Mulgrave Moor, North Yorkshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:Stavanger AB, Norway
Destination airport:
This aircraft took off at 17.30 hours from Stavanger in Norway on 11th August 1940 with the crew tasked with a high altitude photo-reconnaissance flight over Dishforth and Linton on Ouse airfields in Yorkshire. The aircraft crossed the Yorkshire Coast at Whitby where the town's ROC post near Whitby Abbey reported the aircraft as being an enemy. Fighters of 41 Squadron were sent to intercept which found the Junkers Ju88 over Helmsley and flying at 18,000 feet, soon afterwards the Spitfire pilots, F/O Ronald "Wally" Wallens, F/O John Boyle and Sgt Edward Darling began their attacks. The starboard engine of the Ju88 was damaged in the first attack and one of the Luftwaffe crew was killed in the second attack which also damaged the port engine. The aircraft by now had flown an erratic route and was now near the north coast again, to the north of Whitby. It briefly flew back over the sea before turning inland, flying low over Hinderwell and making a landing on moorland near Scaling reservoir, on Skelder Moor at 19.08 hours BST.

As previously stated, one airmen was already killed in the Spitfire attacks his body was taken to Thornaby. The other three airmen survived the crash and were taken in a butchers van to Whitby Police Station to become PoW's.

The airman killed was not a regular member of this crew, he was a communications specialist who's job was to listen to Allied transmissions. When the wreckage was searched, a second radio set was discovered strapped to the back of a seat, is was later found out that this was used purely as a receiver.

Fw O. Höfft, Oberlt H. Marzusch and Fw K-H. Hacker captured unhurt. Lt H. Meyer killed. Aircraft 7A+KH a write-off. The Bordmechaniker, Heinrich Meyer, was buried at Acklam Road Cemetery, Thornaby and has not been reinterred in the Soldatenfriedhof at Cannock Chase.
Fw Otto Höfft pilot (POW),
Oblt Hans Marzusch observer (POW),
Fw Karl-Heinz Hacker wireless operator (POW),
Lt Heinrich Meyer (killed)



Revision history:

07-Aug-2008 23:11 Anon. Added
09-Nov-2012 16:14 Uli Elch Updated [Registration, Operator, Narrative]
27-Sep-2018 23:57 Dr.John Smith Updated [Time, Location, Departure airport, Source, Narrative]
17-Sep-2019 19:43 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]
10-Dec-2019 20:16 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]
04-Jan-2020 20:25 stehlik49 Updated [Operator, Departure airport, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description