This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information.
If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information
Narrative:De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth MSN 85393: Taken on charge as DE371 at 45 MU RAF Kinloss 8.2.42. To 16 EFTS RAF Burnaston, Derbyshire 26.7.42.
|Date:||Thursday 3 January 1946|
De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth
|Owner/operator:||16 EFTS RAF|
|Fatalities:||Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1|
|Aircraft damage:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Location:||Shottle, 3 miles south of Wirksworth, Derbyshire, England -
|Phase:|| En route|
|Departure airport:||RAF Burnaston, Derbyshire|
|Confidence Rating:|| Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources|
Written off (damaged beyond repair) 3.1.46: The pilot decided to make a precautionary landing at Shottle, Derbyshire, but in doing so, the aircraft overshot the selected landing field, and was damaged beyond repair when overturned on landing. No reported casualties. Tiger Moth DE371 was formally Struck off Charge as Cat.E(FA) 24.1.46.
Note that several sources give the crash location of "Shoale, Derbyshire"; there is no such location. The probable location of this incident was Shottle, a village approximately 3 miles south of the market town of Wirksworth in Derbyshire, at approximate coordinates 53°2′ 38.4″ N, 1°32′ 13.2″ W. Shottle is also approximately 15 miles north of Burnaston, Derbyshire, where Tiger Moth DE371 took off
1. Royal Air Force Aircraft DA100-DZ999 (James J Halley, Air Britain, 1987 p 13)
2. Halley, James (1999). Broken Wings – Post-War Royal Air Force Accidents: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd. p.25 ISBN 0-85130-290-4.
3. Final Landings: A Summary of RAF Aircraft and Combat Losses 1946 to 1949 by Colin Cummings p.21
4. 16 EFTS RAF ORB for the period 1-9-1939 to 31-3-1947: National Archives (PRO Kew) File AIR29/619/2: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7160942
6. "RAF Write-offs 1946": Air Britain Aeromilitaria 1979 p.93: https://air-britain.com/pdfs/aeromilitaria/Aeromilitaria_1979.pdf
||Dr. John Smith
||Updated [Operator, Location, Operator]|
||Dr. John Smith
||Updated [Operator, Source, Narrative, Category]|
||Updated [Operator, Operator]|