ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 24958
Last updated: 29 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Airspeed Oxford Mk I
Owner/operator:British Airways
Registration: G-AFFM
MSN: 75
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Cams Hall Farm, Fareham, Hampshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Nature:Passenger - Non-Scheduled/charter/Air Taxi
Departure airport:Heston Aerodrome, Hounslow, Middlesex
Destination airport:
c/no.75, AS.40 Oxford: Registered G-AFFM [C of R 8372] 29.8.38 to The Secretary of State for Air, Air Ministry. Formerly RAF Oxford Mk.I L4538 (the fifth production aircraft), which was retained by Airspeeds for conversion (under Contract No.725930/39); delivered to Heston 29.8.38. C of A 6385 issued 31.8.38. Operated by British Airways Ltd on radio navigation trials and training. Written off (destroyed) when crashed after struck barrage balloon near Marchan, Gosport, Hampshire 20.11.39. According to the wills & probate of the two crew killed, the aircraft officially came down at Cams Hall Farm, Fareham, Hampshire

Additional: The Times Tuesday Nov 21st 1939 has this report

"Two Killed in Aeroplane Crash
The pilot and the radio operator were killed when a civil aeroplane crashed near Gosport, Hants, yesterday after hitting a cable. The pilot, Arthur George Nicholson was 23. Before the war he flew on the Heston to Warsaw route for British Airways. He was a native of Aylesbury, Bucks., and was married. The radio operator, Arthur Edward Eady, a Londoner, was 27. he too, was a married man and before the war was with British Airways, serving on the Scandinavian and Brussels routes."

A newspaper report covered the inquest into the deaths of the two crew ("Northants Evening Telegraph" - Wednesday 22 November 1939)

How an aeroplane crashed and burst into flames after hitting a balloon barrage cable was described at the inquest at Fareham (Hants) to-day on the two victims. They were Arthur George Nicholson (23), Leominster (Herefordshire), and Arthur Edward Eady (25), College Green. London. Both were married.

A verdict of “Death from injuries consistent with the aeroplane having collided with a cable and crashed” was recorded, and the Coroner said that it was almost certain that the machine was off its proper course."

According to the registration document "written off [when] crashed [into] Hythe balloon cables". Registration cancelled 30.11.39


1. The Times Tuesday November 21st 1939
2. The Scotsman - Tuesday 21 November 1939
3. Northants Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 22 November 1939
4. Portsmouth Evening News - Wednesday 22 November 1939
5. Airspeed Oxford Consul & Envoy File (John F Hamlin, Air Britain, 2001 p.66)

Revision history:

27-Sep-2008 01:00 ASN archive Added
08-Dec-2011 13:00 Dr. John Smith Updated [Cn, Location, Phase, Nature, Departure airport, Source, Damage, Narrative]
13-Dec-2011 09:21 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator, Location, Source, Narrative]
02-Aug-2015 16:44 TB Updated [Operator, Source, Narrative]
02-Jun-2017 21:43 Dr. John Smith Updated [Aircraft type, Source, Narrative]
09-Feb-2018 16:52 Dr. John Smith Updated [Source]
24-Jun-2018 23:14 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Source]
03-Mar-2020 18:30 Dr. John Smith Updated [Location, Source, Narrative]
03-Mar-2020 18:37 Dr. John Smith Updated [Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description