This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information.
If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information
Narrative:Airspeed Oxford Mk.1 V3472, 21 (Pilots) Advanced Flying Unit RAF), RAF Wheaton Aston, Staffordshire. Written off (damaged beyond repair) 3 January 1946 when stalled on approach to RAF Snitterford, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire.
|Date:||Thursday 3 January 1946|
|Type:||Airspeed Oxford Mk I|
|Owner/operator:||21 (P) AFU RAF|
|Fatalities:||Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1|
|Aircraft damage:|| Written off (damaged beyond repair)|
|Location:||RAF Snitterford, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England -
|Departure airport:||RAF Wheaton Aston, Staffordshire|
|Destination airport:||RAF Snitterford, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire|
|Confidence Rating:|| Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources|
Oxford V3472 overshot the runway while attempting to land and was damaged beyond repair. Despite the aircraft being Struck Off Charge as FACE (Flying Accident Cat.E) the crew were uninjured. Oxford V3472 was relegated to a Ground Instructional Airframe as 6112M on 9 September 1946
RAF Snitterfield is a former Royal Air Force station located west of Snitterfield, Warwickshire, England, 3.3 miles (5.3 km) north of Stratford-upon-Avon and 4.6 miles (7.4 km) south-east of Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire.
1. Halley, James (1999). Broken Wings – Post-War Royal Air Force Accidents. Tunbridge Wells: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd. p.37. ISBN 0-85130-290-4.
2. Final Landings: A Summary of RAF Aircraft and Combat Losses 1946 to 1949 by Colin Cummings p.24
3. Royal Air Force Aircraft T1000-V9999 (James J Halley, Air Britain)
4. The Oxford, Consul & Envoy File (John F Hamlin, Air Britain, 2001 p.99)
5. National Archives (PRO Kew) File AVIA 5/28/W2343: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6578189
6. 21 (P) AFU ORB (Operational Record Book) for the period 1-7-43 to 31-7-47: National Archives (PRO Kew) File AIR 29/549/4 at https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7160833
||Dr. John Smith
||Updated [Operator, Location, Operator]|