ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 74162
Last updated: 6 December 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic DH83 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
De Havilland DH.83 Fox Moth
Owner/operator:Papuan Air Transport Ltd
Registration: VH-UTY
MSN: 4041
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Lake Myola, near Kokoda -   Papua New Guinea
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:Port Moresby, PNG
Destination airport:Kokoda, PNG
Registered G-ACCA [C of R 4069] 24.1.33 to The Hon Brian E Lewis, t/a Brian Lewis & Co, Heston. C of A 3738 issued 2.2.33. Sold 7.33 and registered [C of R 4661] 27.9.33 to Portsmouth, Southsea & Isle of Wight Aviation Ltd, Portsmouth.

Damaged in aborted take-off from Portsmouth Airport 8.8.33; repaired. Registration cancelled 1.36 as sold. Registered in Australia as VH-UTY [C of R 531] 4.6.35 to George W Lewis, t/a Goldfields Airways, Kalgoorlie, WA.

Sold 18.10.40 and registered 21.10.40 to Guinea Airways Ltd, Adelaide. Registered 20.8.52 to Kingsford Smith Aviation Services Pty Ltd, Bankstown. Registered 2.9.52 to Papuan Air Transport, Port Moresby, PNG t/a TAL (Territory Airlines Ltd)

Crashed in swamp at Lake Myola, near Kokoda, New Guinea: On 17.11.53, Frank Goosens left Port Moresby in VH-UTY, bound for Kokoda. The biplane was loaded to capacity with mail, freezer meat, bread, Christmas parcels and general cargo. Frank Goosens remembers:

"I had to circle and circle to climb over the Gap. I jumped over the ridge to get over Lake Myola, and had to tackle one more ridge. Instead of getting an updraft, I was in a downdraft, tried to turn back and in doing so, dodging around the hills, I fell into a spin, caught not get out and wrapped the Fox Moth around a tree. The plane was a wreck but apart from a bleeding forehead I was unscratched. Everything in front of the pilot's cabin was crushed. The engine was pushed right back and must have just missed my head."

Frank Goosens attempted to walk out of the jungle on the Kokoda Trail, but after being seen by a searching DC-3, returned to the wreck and slept in the cockpit for two nights while waiting the arrival of the ground search party.

Registration VH-UTY cancelled 20.2.54; Papuan Air Transport purchased Fox Moth VH-GAS to replace VH-UTY


1. Balus Vol 1

Revision history:

01-May-2010 23:14 Petro Added
18-Mar-2013 20:41 Dr. John Smith Updated [Cn, Operator, Location, Departure airport, Source, Narrative]
08-May-2014 22:49 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description